23 May, 2014

A dusking session

Foxglove Pug

Platyedra subcinerea

Callisto denticulella

Hedya nubiferana

Incurvaria oehlmanniella

I enjoyed a successful evening of dusking yesterday; catching moths in the fading light with a net. The rewards were four new species for the year, including the first record of the nationally scarce Platyedra subcinerea since 2011, and a beautifully-marked Callisto denticulella, the latter of which I usually only find as a leaf-mine on apple. The real highlight of the session was finally netting Incurvaria oehlmanniella, a moth which now completes my attempt at photographing the confusing members of this genus side-by-side (along with pectinea and masculella). When I get time I'll update this post with the new image.

Checking the moth trap this morning failed to produce anything much different from the last time it was run in April, with the only slightly interesting visitor being the first Foxglove Pug of the year.

No comments: