24 March, 2009

Hunted Hoverflies

Firstly, sorry for the lack of blogging recently- I know you've all missed me so much ;). Schools been piling up lots of GCSE coursework recently (my Yr 10 exams are only a couple of weeks away.... AHHHH!).
I managed to get out in the garden on Sunday and take some shots of some insects that are on the wing in this lovely weather.
I'm pleased to see that Hoverflies are back in the garden, I love the colours on their body, which disguises them as Wasps, and no bird in the right mind wants to eat these bad boys...
Unfortunatly, wasps are not fooled by the Hoverflies attempt to mimic them...


Back to the Hoverflies- I think these guys are called Episyrphus Balteatus??!

However, there is another creature that eats Hoverflies and isn't fooled by its colours... the Crab Spider, and worse still, there's one living on the same plant that the Hovers were feeding on!
This spider has an ingenious way of feeding, it will climb up a flower...

...get into pouncing position...
...wait until an insect comes to feed... and then it will strike (sorry, no pictures for this bit, you'll just have to imagine an insect getting eaten alive by a Crab Spider)!

No comments: