20 August, 2012

18th Birthday Moths

As I write this, its uncomfortably warm outside, and I've had the worst hangover possible for most of today (the big old 18th last night... don't ask). Weirdly, I woke up this morning to the sight of a moth trap in the garden. I don't remember doing it, but it seemed that somehow, before I went out and did more stuff I don't remember doing, I must have registered the promisingly muggy, calm and warm conditions and put out a moth trap... that is the kind of thing you do before your 18th isn't it?

Anyway, there was some decent stuff waiting for me in the trap this morning, including a nice Hoary Footman, and an even nicer Gypsonoma minutana.

Back on the 16th August I was slightly more sober when I emptied the moth trap, and resting on the last egg box at the bottom was a Toadflax Brocade. It's quite a rare species in Britain, usually confined to shingle beaches along the south coast, but in recent years, wanderers have been turning up further inland, with the likelihood of localised breeding in Surrey and London. It's been on my garden wish list for a long time now, but I never thought it would actually turn up...


Another species that's been on the wish list for ages is Jersey Tiger. Unlike the Toadflax, Jersey Tiger already has a well established population in the London suburbs, so I was expecting it arrival to an extent. Still an absolute stunner, especially as its the scarcer form lutescens which has awesome yellow hindwings...


Hoary Footman- fighting off hoards of these at the moment...


Possibly the most wanted insect in Britain, Oak Processionary. DEFRA would have a fit if they knew how common the species is becoming in the garden...


Sallow Kitten...


Narrow-winged Pug...


Rush Veneer, a very common immigrant, but only the 3rd garden record...






No comments: