23 February, 2011

Mothing Isn't a Hobby Anymore...

Mothing Isn't a Hobby Anymore...

... it's a full blown addiction. I've been putting the moth trap out in the garden on a number of occasions this year, and the scary thing is that I don't think I need to remember to do it; its become lodged in my mind as something that I can do without thinking, along with sleeping and some other things.

If you don't know how a moth trap works, basically the moths are attracted to a light, become confused, and in their confusion fall into a catchment box from which you can then observe the moths, and let them go again.

Most of the time I've put the trap out this year, I've got absolutely loads of nothing. However, on a few occasions, with the right weather, believe it or not, a few hardy moths do actually decide to show themselves. Unlike birding, I take the listing side of mothing quite seriously, and I don't really know why. I guess it could have something to do with the shear range of species waiting to be seen, and the fact that last year I saw more moths in the garden, than I have birds in my life.

Here, have some moths I found in the garden so far this year (14 moths of 7 species to be a bit more precise)...

Early Moth- very originally named...


March Moth- again, very originally named...


Hebrew Character...


Tortricodes alternella...


Common Quaker...


I think you can guess that the trap is out tonight.

2 comments:

Stewart said...

Nice stuff there Bill. I am still waiting for my first Hebrews and Quakers this year and I have never seen alternella. I have just caught a very early Pine Beauty tonight. I'll have it photographed and blogged tomorrow...

Billy Dykes said...

Pine Beauty is on my wish list, a nice catch. The conditions seem to be perfect at the mo and I've just inspected the trap to find my very first Twin-spotted Quaker, not quite as good as a Pine Beauty mind you ;)