14 March, 2010

Long Time, No Speak

Long Time, No Speak...

I'm going to use that excuse that everyone always uses after neglecting a blog... "I've had too much work". No time for birding and photography. Well, also that I can't be arsed to go out in the freezing weather we've had recently... but I prefer the first excuse.
Anyway, yesterday the weather was quite nice, so I brushed the dust of the camera and went to the London Wetland Centre.

On the main lake, two Water Pipits were flying from island to island. There were large numbers of waterfowl, including Shoveler, Teal, Gadwall and Wigeon.


In the trees around the Sheltered Lagoon, two Lesser Redpoll were feeding in the alders with a flock of Goldfinch, and a few Fieldfare and Redwing were a welcome sight (I haven't seen one since they departed the garden back in January!). Shoveler were on the Lagoon, including a showy pair allowing me a few photos...

Male Shoveler...

Female Shoveler- not all that boring when seen up close.

Around at Wildside, a Cetti's Warbler gave a brief burst of song from within the reeds, and on the Reservoir Lagoon, a Bittern had been found, but I didn't see it. Ah well... who needs a Bittern when you've got this shot of a Tuftie!

A personal favourite of the day...

A Grey Heron burst up from the reedbeds...

Other than that it was relatively quiet, although I never knew ducks burped...

2 comments:

Robs Birding said...

Hi Bill , once again top pictures, still trying to get used to my camera , need alot more practise before i get even half as good as your standard :)

David Campbell said...

I very much like the Tufted Duck photo iin particular, Billy! Well done! atb David.