15 May, 2011

Everybody say "awhhh"

Everybody say "awhhh"...

Two things are inevitable in May: exams, and fledged birds.

The latter is something I look forward to (unlike the former... surprisingly) every year in the form of a family of Blue tits, which usually fledge without fail from nextdoor's nest box. This year however, they haven't even investigated the box for some reason or another, and I was starting to get a bit afraid that the blog would be devoid of fluffy little squeaking fledglings photos for a year.

Not to fear though, as today, a new family appeared on the block. Can you guess what species they are? I'll give you a clue, it has the letters O, B, I and N in it...


Well I don't know which famous Taliban leader you were thinking of, but I'm talking about juvenile Robins- three of which have been kickin' about the garden for most of today. Like their parents, they were ridiculously curious, and allowed for very close viewing whilst they fed on the stocked up feeders.


Under the watchful eyes of Mum, of course...


I thought I'd give a bit of a helping hand myself, so I popped off to Squires, and came back with these...


They've always looked so appealing in the bird food catalogues, and I was hungry at the time, so I thought I'd try one. From personal experience, wouldn't suggest them. They were a bit too crisp, and lacked any flavour, so I soaked them in water to see if that would bring out the pizazz.

It didn't work, so I gave them to the Robins instead, who seemed to like them...


Everybody say "awhhh"...


2 comments:

kirstallcreatures said...

What a lovely set of pics of the newly fledged Robins.

Tim James said...

Lovely series of shots. Nice work.